OUR TEAM


-

-

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Eat @HOME Day #5: Skillet Chili Mac

Well the Eat @HOME August challenge is still going strong here.  Day #4 (Sunday) was tacos for lunch and leftovers for dinner.  I had a weak moment before dinner in which I told Jeff, "man, In-N-Out sounds really good right now!"  Seriously on Day #4!  Come on Kristee!  I had leftover pasta from Chicken Rollatini and a spinach salad.  I can't remember what Jeff ended up eating.  We survived! ;)

Last night I made Skillet Chili Mac.  All I can say is that is was OK.  It was definitely not spectacular!  We all thought my regular Chili was better.  I probably won't make it again.  But if you don't have a good Chili recipe, you might give this a try.  It did have good flavor.  I may try to add some of the seasoning to my Chili recipe.  I did like the green chilies in it.  I made a few changes to the original recipe.  Below is my recipe that I adapted.

Recipe: Skillet Chili Mac

I adapted this recipe :  From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 10 min |Cook time: 40 min |Yield: About 4 to 6 servings
  • 1-1/2 cups of chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper
  • 1 pound of ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons of chili powderor to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
  • Kosher salt and black pepperto taste
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
  • 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can red kidney beans,drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1-1/2 cups of dry medium cut pasta (like elbow macaroni or shells)
  • 1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheeseto taste, plus more for garnish
  • Optional Garnishes: Sliced green onions,fresh diced tomatoessour cream or your other favorite chili toppings
Instructions

Cook the ground beef, garlic and veggies, breaking up the meat and cooking, until no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper; taste and adjust seasonings.

Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and green chilies; stir. Add the water, beans, pasta. Bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is cooked through; uncover, stir and let simmer, uncovered, until reduced to desired consistency. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover and cook over low until cheese melts. Garnish with sliced green onions, fresh diced tomatoes, sour cream or your other favorite chili toppings

Skillet Chili Mac

We have a busy evening tonight, so we are having BBQ Chicken Legs cooked in the crockpot!  Fancy! :)

I'll have a new recipe review soon! :)

Happy Cooking
~Kristee








0 comments:

Post a Comment